Yachats has received notice that it has met the certifications to be Storm Ready and Tsunami Ready. Water Treatment Plant Lead Rick McClung worked with staff and the Emergency Preparedness Committee to ensure the City has proper systems in place to attain this status. Being Storm and Tsunami ready qualifies Yachats for receiving FEMA support in the event of a disaster.
Some of the preparation includes:
- Establishing evacuation zones
- Creating and distributing evacuation maps
- Completing the Emergency Operations Plan
- Assigning personnel to critical positions
- Getting staff certified
- Ensuring communication systems are in place with county and federal emergency management
- Staying connected with the National Weather Service early warning systems
Residents and visitors can be assured that the City is doing what it can to be prepared. Please remember to have your own Go Bag ready, and plan for the evacuation of your pets, too.